About this eggplant rollatini recipe
Eggplant contains some potent anti-inflammatory compounds, especially in the skin. There are also a variety of important vitamins and minerals in this wonderful vegetable. The homemade queso blanco cheese in this recipe also contributes plenty of complete protein. It is a low fat and gluten-free dish for all occasions that fits into every healthy whole food diet.
Ingredients for eggplant rollatini
Whole eggplant, unpeeled, stem end removed Olive oil
Fresh tomato sauce, or other sauce Mushrooms of your choice
Whole fresh basil leaves Roasted red bell pepper
Fresh queso blanco cheese or other cheese Oil cured olives(optional) or other olives
Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper
Preparing eggplant rollatini
1. Slice the eggplant 3/8-inch thick, leaving the skin on. Slice only what you need for the rollatini. I used half the eggplant and roasted the other half to make baba ganoush dip the next day. You can also make all of the eggplant into rollatini and save the leftovers for another day.
2. Lightly coat or spray both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in a 400-degree oven until lightly browned and just tender enough to roll without trying springing back. This should take only 10-15 minutes. Remember that the eggplant will cook more after being rolled and sauced.
3. About 2-inches from the large end of the roasted eggplant slices place a generous layer of whole fresh basil leaves. Top the basil with a strip of roasted sweet red pepper and some chopped oil-cured olives. Sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper.
4. Add 2-3 tablespoons of fresh queso blanco cheese or other cheese of your choice on top of the roasted red pepper.
5. Roll up the eggplant, starting at the large end, and end with the seam down so they don’t unroll during baking.
6. Place a few tablespoons of tomato sauce on a baking pan large enough to fit all of the rollatini. Place the rollatini side by side on top of the sauce. This prevents sticking to the pan and infuses the sauce flavor into the eggplant.
7. Preheat a heavy skillet and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and sautee the mushrooms of your choice until just tender. Add the rest of the sauce to the skillet and mix well to coat all of the mushrooms.
8. Place a generous stripe of the sauce and mushrooms across the top of the rollatini.
9. Reduce the oven to 350-degrees and bake the rollatini for 15-20 minutes, until heated through and the eggplant is very tender and soft.
Notes on eggplant rollatini
The fresh tomato sauce and the queso blanco cheese can be made several days in advance or other sauce and cheese can be substituted.
For a vegan eggplant rollatini, use a flavored cashew cream or sauteed vegetables instead of cheese for the filling. Hummus or polenta also works well for this type of dish.
For something less filling use a picatta sauce instead of tomato sauce.